Wardrobe Malfunction In The Making

So I’ve been working on the Gatsby Sweater by Peter Franzi (Rav link) for Darling Hubby on and off for some time now.  I recently mentioned that just a few days ago I finished the back panel and started working on the front.  Things were going fine.  I’ve made about 12 inches of progress on the front (out of 23.5″ required for the XL size) and I think the pattern and I have come to an understanding with each other about how to keep the proper number of stitches.

Today, I was working on it after looking on Ravelry, checking out and admiring the other Gatsby sweaters that have already been finished.  I happened to notice that my front/back post double crochets look different from the other sweaters…I looked closer at my own sweater and realized I’ve been doing the fp/bpdc’s wrong the ENTIRE TIME I’VE BEEN MAKING THIS SWEATER!!! Gaaah!  SERIOUSLY?!?!?!  Well, I guess it was just bound to happen since I’ve not yet made a piece of clothing that didn’t have some sort of problem…Maybe I should stick to hats, scarves and mittens…I think they are more my speed…

So what have I been doing wrong this whole time?  Instead of going around the previously made dc, I was going in and out the holes at the top making a stubby version of the raised dc.  Mine don’t seem to flow as nicely from one row to the next as they really should.  I called Darling Hubby into the room and told him of my terrible error.  He’s ok with it.  He’s been waiting long enough for the sweater as it is.  He doesn’t want to wait longer for me to frog the whole thing and start again.  Honestly, I wasn’t looking forward to the prospect of tearing out hours of hard work so I’m thankful he was fine with it.  Really, it doesn”t look bad and I’m sure no one would notice if I hadn’t pointed it out.  I’m just going to continue on with my erroneous fp/bpdc’s and will finish this sweater, hopefully within the next couple weeks.    I’ve been working on it here and there doing a couple rows when I’m sitting on the couch watching tv.  I’ve been remembering to count ever row or every other row to make sure I keep the right number of stitches.  Maybe if it’s cool on Easter he can wear it then…that is, if it doesn’t look like complete crap when I’m done with it…I obviously have a lot of faith in my crocheted clothing creations, huh?  Oh, and to top it all off, when I was measuring the front panel to see how far along I was, I noticed that the front panel is slightly wider than the back panel…I’m just going to have to make it work….sigh…

I’m seriously thinking that my next project is going to be a blanket of some sort…something without gauge, without a predetermined size and without a tricky pattern to follow.  It’s getting too warm for hats, scarves and mittens…I’m going to have to find something else to work on to occupy my hands.

Advertisements

One thought on “Wardrobe Malfunction In The Making

  1. oh man….I’m glad you aren’t going to tear it out. I do know how much work that is….and it is so sad. sigh…….

    oh and I’m proud of you making it through your dental appt. I know how hard it is for you.

Leave a Comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s