The Olympics are still going and so am I. I’ve been dancing with my Works In Progress and going for gold in the Flying Camel Spin event.
Here are my recent Finished Objects.
I’ve mentioned before that I joined the Downton Abbey Mystery Knit Along hosted by Jimmy Beans Wool in January. This was my first ever mystery knit along AND my first ever shawl. I’m not typically a shawl person, never having seen a use for one since my style is not usually something that would go well with a shawl (I’m a t-shirt and jeans girl and I just don’t see that working with shawls.) Anyway, I thought it would be fun to go out of my comfort zone and try something new. I figured, worse case, that if I didn’t like the finished shawl I could either gift it or sell it. I still have to try it out myself, so I haven’t decided what will become of it, yet. I will admit that I have found myself searching the ravelry pattern database for more shawls…I may have created a monster! lol
I worked on this shawl every week, following the clues posted every Sunday (aka Downton Day). There was some drama with a 2nd week clue having a flaw, and while mine didn’t come out as it should have (because of that error) I actually like how it ended up. This shawl is definitely one of a kind! I did add an extra repeat of the shell lace pattern at the bottom cause I really liked it and I wanted the shawl to be a bit wider. I ended up using 833 yrds (approx) of DK weight Patons Superwash wool in Claret. That is nearly 300 yrds more than called for, but, I learned about how row gauge can really affect yardage. Next time I make a big project I’ll be sure to I check my row gauge, too. Click on either of the shawl pictures to see it’s ravelry project page.
As for the Flying Camel Spin, I worked up this gorgeous yarn. It is made from a mix of Corriedale, Finn and Ramboulette wool, dyed in gorgeous shades of pink, purple, brown and silver. The roving this was spun from was dyed by Spinner’s Hill in Bainbridge, NY and purchased at Trumpet Hill Fine Yarns in Albany. As I was plying it, it kept reminding me of berries dipped in chocolate. Yum! It is approximately 133 yards, 3.4oz/97g and worsted weight (10wpi). I started this Wednesday night at the once a month Open Spinning at Trumpet Hill and finished plying it last night around 11 (and washed, spun out and hung to dry) while we were having our game night group over.
I still have one more WIP that I’ve been struggling with…my sock hop sweater. I was good and picked it back up, sewing the the shoulders and starting the neckline…The only thing is now that I’ve knit several inches I’ve decided I don’t like how the front looks (one side flows well from the ribbed pattern, and the other looks awful.) I think I might have to frog that portion and start again…I’m not sure I’ll find time to rip it back, knit it again and sew the arms by Sunday…) Guess we’ll see…At least I’m happy having finished my socks, shawl and spun a yarn.